Re: Regarding Filesystems

From: "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgshield-freebsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:39:45 -0500

Hi Adam;

Adam Emanuel wrote:
Hello Sir,

I'll only answer the UFS question, I don't know hammer well enough but is somewhat like a logging fs so I don't think it can be compared at all to a journaling fs.

1- I know that UFS divides the disk into cylinder group, does this has anything to do with disk's physical cylinders, let's say they are the same thing ?

This is a common misconception: it used to be (in archaic disks) that
UFS would use the cilinder information to improve performance, however the results were so good that modern disks adopted the optimizations and now basically hide that information. In UFS2, and late UFS1, the "geometry" values are still used for organizational purposes but have no relation to the physical disks at all.

cheers,

Pedro.