Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin Makefile src/usr.bin/undo Makefile undo.1 undo.c

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:41:18 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:But doesn't "undo" imply that it would work for any filesystem (like cp,
:mv, chmod, chflags etc.). In reality it is specific to HAMMER, so
:logically it should be a "hammer undo". But then, once HAMMER becomes
:the default filesystem, no one will probably want to use other
:filesystems anymore ;-)
:
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    Well, kinda like chflags only works with filesystems which support
    special flags.

Ah okay, I missed that one.

    The way I see it, if another filesystem comes along with an UNDO
    capability then we can make the 'undo' utility use that capability.

I don't think this will happen soon (if at all). ZFS for example has it's own undo "zfs rollback", and I think even if ZFS would work on Dragonfly it wouldn't be possible to merge the features into "undo". So IMHO "undo" is and will forever be HAMMER-specific! With this is mind, "hammer undo" would for me naturally fit better (and clutter less namespace).

How about putting the undo functionality into "hammer", and make "undo"
a shell script that just calls "hammer undo"? Using "hammer" has the
advantage that you can use names like "diff" and "log" without colliding
with existing programs:

  hammer diff mytextfile
  (instead of: undo -d mytextfile)
  hammer undo filea