Re: Backup statistics - using HAMMER on my LAN backup box

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:00:57 -0700 (PDT)

:I am wondering how you exactly do the backup. You probably just copy
:over the modified files, right? But how do you determine which files
:have been modified? Do you use some md5 checksum (which is expensive!)
:or just the mtime?
:
:Would be even better to use something like rsync, right?
:
:Regards,
:
:   Michael

    My backups?   The backup box NFS mounts all the partitions from the other
    boxes that I want to backup, and I use cpdup.  With UFS I used the
    hardlink trick to create a daily snapshot.  With HAMMER I just cpdup
    to the same targets and create @@ softlinks to the snapshots.

    The off-site backup at the moment runs cpdup over a ssh link to the
    off-site backup box.  That box is running linux so it uses the hardlink
    trick.  RSync would be reasonable there, and in fact I might switch
    to it for the remote backups.  But I far prefer using NFS/cpdup for the
    LAN backups.

					<dillon@backplane.com>