Re: FairQ ALTQ for PF - Patch #2

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 00:50:18 -0700 (PDT)

:...
:could even do modulate state or synproxy state as long as you see the
:initial SYN.  If not, you fall back to creating a reduced state.  This
:option would, of course, also have a setting where it would always just
:create a reduced state and be done with it.
:
:As for the name ... maybe, 'extra-tcp-state' with a possible setting
:of 'on' (default), 'off' and 'force-off' or something like that.  This
:could also be a global setting similar to the timeouts which can also be
:set on a per-rule basis.
:
:\ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661

    I came across an interesting item.  I believe (but I'm not entirely
    sure if I am correct) that NetBSD implies S/SA for TCP keep
    state and it no longer needs to be specified in the rule.  Is this
    correct?  It makes sense since keep state is completely broken for
    TCP if S/SA isn't specified sans the type of augmentation we've been
    discussing.

    With that in mind here is my proposed state_opt_item feature.  I am
    soliciting opinions on the feature:

    [additions to state_opt_item]

    pickups

	Specify that mid-stream pickups are to be allowed.  The default
	is to NOT allow mid-stream pickups and implies flags S/SA for TCP
	connections.   If pickups are enabled, flags S/SA are not implied
	for TCP connections and state can be created for any packet.

	The implied flags parameters need not be specified in either case
	unless you explicitly wish to override them, which also allows
	you to roll-up several protocols into a single rule.

	Certain validations are disabled when mid-stream pickups occur.
	For example, the window scaling options are not known for
	TCP pickups and sequence space comparisons must be disabled.

	This does not effect state representing fully quantified
	connections (for which the SYN/SYN-ACK passed through the routing
	engine).  Those connections continue to be fully validated.

    nopickups

	Specify that mid-stream pickups are not to be allowed.  This is the
	default and this keyword does not normally need to be specified.
	However, if you are concerned about rule set portability then
	specifying this keyword guarantees flags S/SA for TCP connections,
	and pfctl generates a parse-time error if it doesn't understand the
	feature.

    hashonly

	Implies pickups and maintains a state table entry but disables
	most validations whether or not the connection has been fully
	quantified.  This feature is used if you do not wish to
	validate connection state, for example for a router operating in the
	center of a large network where such validations would be impossible
	to maintain.

	However, even though such validations may not be desired you may
	still require keep state for the purposes of driving the FAIRQ
	ALTQ.  FAIRQ depends on keep state to generate the hash codes
	identifying the buckets in which it should place packets.

	You might also want to use this feature to identify high-bandwidth
	connections via the state table for analysis purposes, even at
	the center of a large network.