Re: Globbing

From: Oliver Fromme <check+jw8m7u00rsbgw1jh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Feb 2008 16:49:20 GMT

Michael Neumann wrote:
 > Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
 > > For example, how do you use "find" to find all files in a directory
 > > that end in ".el" and don't have a corresponding ".elc" file?
 > > Answer:
 > >  find . -name '*.el' -print  \
 > >     |sed 's/^/FOO=/' \
 > >     |sed 's/$/; if [ ! -f ${FOO}c ]; then echo $FOO; fi/'  \
 > >     | sh
 >
 > Hm, why don't you use a "real" language, instead of hacking shell
 > scripts. I understand that they are useful in some cases, as /bin/sh is
 > cross-platform and installed by default. For anything else, take perl,
 > python or ruby.

I think the point was to provide a portable solution that
would work with the basic tools on any UNIX box.  I agree,
in such cases it makes sense to us an advanced language.
(On the other hand, zsh is pretty advanced, too. ;-)

 > In Ruby this becomes the following:
 >
 >   Dir['**/*.el'].reject {|f| File.exist?(f + "c")}.each {|f| puts f}
 >
 > And that's just a simple example. Once it gets more complex, the
 > power of more advanced scripting languages pay off a lot more.

This would be the Python way to do it, just for the record:

[x for x in listdir(".") if exists(x + "c")]

Best regards
   Oliver