Re: Globbing (was Re: HAMMER update 10-Feb-2008)

From: Dave Hayes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:55:15 -0800

Simon Schubert <Simon> writes:
> I don't see ANY reason why to increase it.  There is simply NO POINT in
> doing so.  It will ALWAYS be a limit.  Limit keeps being limit, thus no
> change in limit necessary, as it doesn't change the situation.  QED.

Our current filesystem size limit (UFS) is around 1TB.

I think this is a pretty decent counterexample here. Limits that we can
change cease to become limits that impede our progress.

Granted, "echo * | xargs" is easier on the argument buffer. Personally,
since I use MH for my mail, I'd rather do "grep foo *" than "echo * |
grep foo" on the folder containing spam to fish out what I'm looking
for. (If you don't know MH, it's rather ancient and has mailboxes that
store mail messages in one file per email message. This is awesome for
testing filesystem performance and sucks for high volume email).

Why not, in fine UNIX tradition, make a sysctl tunable for
the argument space, and make the default what we have now?
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Due to confusion, people mistake things for themselves;
covetousness flares up, and they get into vicious cycles
that cloud perceptions and enshroud them in ignorance. The
vicious cycles go on and on, and people cannot be free.