Re: URGENT: [diagnostic] cache_lock: blocked on 0xda5265a8 ""

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 15:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

:
:ok, guys, today im going to do the core dump.
:
:1) I'll set dumpdev to swap
:
:sysctl kern.dumpdev=/dev/ad0s1b
:
:Should any sysctl be set?
:I have kernl.sync_on_panic=0 at the moment should I set it to 1 or leave it?
:
:2) CTRL+ALT+ESC and then  type "panic" ?
:
:3) What to do then and where will i recover the core dump from?
:
:Petr

    In /etc/rc.conf, put:

	dumpdev="/dev/ad0s1b"

    That will cause the system to do the sysctl automatically on boot and
    also check for dumps.

    Swap needs to be at least as large as main memory (usually it is).

    /var/crash needs to have enough space to hold the dumps.  Usually it
    does not, so you change it to be a softlink to somewhere else.  I
    usually do this:

	cpdup /var/crash /home/var.crash
	rm -rf /var/crash
	ln -s /home/var.crash /var/crash

    If the system is unable to dump or reboot after it gets into the
    muffed up state then set kern.sync_on_panic to 0.  Else leave it 1.

					<dillon@backplane.com>