Re: loading a firmware image

From: "km b" <kmb810@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:15:12 +1000

On 7/16/07, Maslan <maslanbsd@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the best way to load a firmware image (microcode) ?
AFAIK I've to load the image file first in memory then call
firmware_register() but my problem is how should i load the image in
memory ?? or should FIRMWS in Makefile be enough ???

FIRMWS is a FreeBSD specific Makefile target and it has not been ported to DragonFly. Basically it builds kld module from raw firmware data. E.g. see the makefiles in sys/modules/iwifw in FreeBSD. You still have to load the module before you call firmware_get() or register the module as dependency in the main module. In DragonFly , afaik you have to provide your mechanism for managing firmware (e.g., through ioctl).

Cheers
kmb

--
Something is wrong up on cloud # 9!