Re: OpenSound - was Re: lockmgr patch

From: oliver oli <oliver.oli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:07:23 +0200

Chris Turner wrote:
With the smaller buffering / stricter monitoring requirements,
scheduling deadlines become more of an issue as dropouts start to occur,
which is also possibly 'less acceptable' in the 'professional' case
(this is very use-case-dependent), and things may or may not be
compounded by heavy data processing, etc.

undetected dropouts in a pro audio environment are not acceptable. you don't want lose a single sample when you record audio and at least you want to know if dropouts occur.

From the research / discussions on the LAD list, it seems like the
'consumer' OS's (Windows, MacOS "classic", OS-X) have some kind of
special scheduler hooks or API's for these kinds of scenarios
(DirectSound, CoreAudio, etc) and that this is a 'hard problem' (TM)

It is a hard problem (thats my impression from reading the Linux audio mailing lists). If I were a musician or pro audio user, I would buy an Apple only for CoreAudio, although Linux is now a much better audio platform than it was some years ago.

If you want to run pro audio software (on BSD) you want to run a jack server. Has anyone tried to port jackd or jackdmp to Dragonfly? Is there any chance that it can run low-latency (64 samples / 48khz = 1.3 ms)?