Re: HEADS UP! Compatibility slice will no longer point at the first BSD slice

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:54:05 +0000

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
Now, I'm not exactly unexperienced, but I find the constant (and
inconsistent) mixing in of the "0th count" *in "consumer-used
numberings"* (like enums of the partitions, disks, devices etc.)
confusing.

Yah. Originally, it was only supposed to mean 'offset 0'. It got used for offsets into arrays, which after some time morphed into array indices, because they almost match eachother (index = offset+1 -> index = offset). Given that it's this common nowadays in this 'subculture', I don't see much harm in it. Unlike the abuse of SI prefixes like kilo, which has been '1000' for ages, or the abuse of the symbol for Kelvin as kilo. Very damn annoying...

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@netphreax.net