Re: OpenSound - was Re: lockmgr patch

From: Dave Hayes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:40:59 -0700

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
>     Sound isn't really a real time application.
. ..
>     A few milliseconds of lag either way wouldn't be noticed.  I
>     think you need upwards of 10+ ms of lag before you start to
>     notice desynchronization with people's lips.

Good musicians can hear ~1ms of latency. For audio recording and
production applications, it's essential to keep the latency at (or
under) that, IMO.

Also, one of the things that interests me (and IMO should interest a
lot of other musicians) about DFly is taking the idea of clustering to
the arena of real-time synthesis.

Back in the day, we keyboard players could easily have 5-6 pieces of
outboard synth rack gear in use at once. It would be really nice to do
this virtually, someday, and muliple-core CPUs are most likely the
low-level answer. DFly's project goals are great infrastructure
support for this kind of application.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

It is only knowledge that will destroy bias.