Re: OpenSound - was Re: lockmgr patch

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:26:50 +0100

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:09:24 -0400
Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.org> wrote:

> In any case.. the LAD folks (and me :) have a 'real need' for 'an
> appropriate' audio API.. I contrast this with folks that just need to
> 'play sound' - which is most people. No value judgment in that
> statement, just facts. If you're playing a video or making a VOIP call,
> some mild buffering / jitter is OK such that the playback doesn't skip,
> but the guitar scenario above, this is a problem (TM).

	I've never tried playing guitar through my computer but I spent a
long time recording TV programs with a BT878 tuner card with it's audio out
plugged in to the aux in of my sound card (I put the bktr support into
ffmpeg for the purpose). I was always able to get recordings with really
good A/V sync using FreeBSD or DragonFly while I also read reports of A/V
sync problems under Linux/ALSA and heroic work being done to try and sort
them out.

	This leads me to ask - have you ever tried playing a guitar through
the DragonFly or FreeBSD sound system because it seems to me that the
video recording A/V sync problem is about as demanding ?