Re: FIXING VN AND CCD DEVICES ON HEAD! Re: HEADS up on HEAD

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 09:39:53 +0900

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 08:03:17AM +0900, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 02:54:07PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :As you expected, my ccd partitions(/var/obj and /home) no longer mount.
> > :Do I need to dump & restore filesystems on a ccd device after the changes
> > :to ccd device?
> >
> >     Ok.  They can be recovered if you haven't overwritten anything or if you
> >     only tried to do an fdisk on it but otherwise did not create or edit
> >     the disklabels.
>
> Well, new ccd wouldn't let me make any changes, and I can access these
> filesystems when I boot from 1.8, so that should be OK :)
>
> >     Here's what you have to do.
>
> [detailed instruction]

By the way, I think this is worth an entry in /usr/src/UPDATING.
Oh, and is it possible to share the filesystems on ccd or vn
with 1.8.x installation after running `dd' command?

> >     If your CCD or VN mount was using an MBR before, then no changes are
> >     needed.. it should just work.  I will note that most people using CCD
> >     and VN will NOT have been using an MBR.
> >
> >     Please tell me if these steps work.  Hopefully you didn't already
> >     reformat your ccd :-)
>
> OK, I'll let you know later.

I followed the instruction, and now I get no error messages when I access
/dev/ccd0, but zero bytes can be read from/written to it.  The `dd' command
gave me the following output:
  # dd if=/dev/zero count=1 bs=512 of=/dev/ccd0
  dd: /dev/ccd0: end of device
  1+0 records in
  0+0 records in
  0 bytes transferred in 0.000056 secs (0 bytes/sec)
is this expected?

I changed my /etc/ccd.conf to look like this:
  ccd0s0 1152 none /dev/ad0s1e /dev/ad1s1e
  ccd1s0 16 CCDF_MIRROR,CCDF_UNIFORM /dev/ad0s1g /dev/ad1s1g

However, I still can't access neither of the filesystems on ccd devices.
I hope I haven't missed anything.

Thanks.