Re: HEADS up on HEAD

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 20:59:13 -0700

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Note that due to recent changes in HEAD, people using HEAD need to
>     rebuild and reinstall the kernel AND world AND do a make upgrade to
>     deal with device minor number changes that have occured.
>
>     devices will only be partially compatible with 1.8. e.g devices like
>     /dev/ad6s1a haven't changed, but raw devices like /dev/ad6 and /dev/ad6s1
>     have changed.  HEAD will no longer accept opens using the old devices...

I'm a long-time follower of HEAD, but I admit I don't understand the
implications of your warning.

If I build world+kernel now, what kind of tasks should I expect to have
trouble with?

To be specific, I'm running DF from an extended partition (a bit out
of the ordinary) /dev/ad1s9a.  Should I expect problems if I update
just now?

Thanks!