Re: Patch framework

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:23:35 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Honestly, if you guys want something to work on this area.... how
    about working on a way to integrate pkgsrc packages into the base
    system build so we can get rid of all (or most) of our locally maintained
    third party code bases?

I don't think this is a good idea. When using pkgsrc, we are dependant on it. They update a package and it happens not to work with dragonfly, we're screwed. Additionally, there is no backlog of old packages (except with CVS tags maybe), so old releases could break. All in all a horrid idea to me. Third party software maintenance isn't really soo much of an issue for us, and if it is, we'll have to stick to it (compare: gcc, etc).

cheers
 simon