Re: ifconfig on re0 panics Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 with RealTek 8101E chipset

From: Joe Talbott <josepht@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:32:42 -0500

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 11:07:08AM -0500, Joe Talbott wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 03:23:12PM +0800, Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
> > On 12/10/06, Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net> wrote:
> > >I bought a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 which has a PCIE NIC that has
> > >a RealTek 8101E chip.  When I try to ifconfig the interface to assign
> > >it an IP address my machine panics.  I have posted some photos of the
> > >panic message and a db trace.  I have also posted a verbose dmesg and
> > >pciconf output here:
> > >
> > >http://www.xenno.com/dfbsd/
> > >
> > >There are two directories 'panic1' and 'panic2'.  Panic1 says "RAM
> > >parity error" and suggests hardware failure, yet this is the second
> > >laptop (exact same model) that I've tried and the panic persists
> > >(though I don't have pictures from the first laptop).  I am running
> > >1.7.0-DEVELOPMENT from December 8, 2006.
> >
> > Can you get a coredump, and post the back trace?  That will be helpful.
>
> I was unable to get a coredump.  Entering 'panic' at the db> prompt
> did not provide me with a core dump neither did 'call dodump'.
> After syncing with today's HEAD I don't get the panic, though the
> re(4) interface comes up I cannot pass data on the connection.
>
> I have posted[1] the latest dmesg, pciconf, ifconfig and a tcpdump from
> the laptop as it tries to ping my desktop using the re(4) interface.
> The MAC addresses appear to be shifted the same as the first laptop as
> I reported on IRC.

Okay.  I've learned a little more about this.  If I power down the
laptop and leave it off for a few minutes then power it up, login and
ifconfig re0 ... it panics.  I got a core dump with 'call dumpsys',
'panic' didn't work.  Next I entered 'reset' at the db> prompt.  I
logged in again and ifconfig re0 ... and it panics again.  Same db>
stuff as before and reset.  This time everything hangs after ifconfig
re0 ....  Power cycle and then I can ifconfig re0 ... and pass
traffic.  I did this all again (i.e. 2 panics, a hang, then open
sesame) to verify the process.  I have uploaded the kernel and vmcore
files for the panics onto leaf.dragonflybsd.org:/home/josepht/crash/.

Thanks,
Joe