Re: jemalloc?

From: "Vlad Galu" <dudu@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:06:46 +0200

On 12/12/06, Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net> wrote:
Vlad Galu wrote:
>   I've compiled $subj as a shared library that I preload when using
> some test programs and it's been behaving nicely. Are there any plans
> to import it? phkmalloc is painfully slow when freeing numerous small
> objects.

It might be nice to look Google's tcmalloc thing, it's BSDl as well
(perhaps you could benchmark both?).

http://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/doc/tcmalloc.html
http://dammit.lt/2006/12/06/google-perftools-tcmalloc-squid/

I tried to compile this the other day, but it looked rather alpha stage. Now back to jemalloc. You can find Jason Evans's presentation at http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/jemalloc.pdf. As for a (rather blunt) benchmark, try this: http://night.rdslink.ro/tree.c. It's a naive program filling a rbtree with 5M nodes then deleting half of them.

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard
         tgen@netphreax.net

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.