Re: ifconfig on re0 panics Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 with RealTek 8101E chipset

From: "Sepherosa Ziehau" <sepherosa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:23:12 +0800

On 12/10/06, Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net> wrote:
I bought a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 which has a PCIE NIC that has
a RealTek 8101E chip.  When I try to ifconfig the interface to assign
it an IP address my machine panics.  I have posted some photos of the
panic message and a db trace.  I have also posted a verbose dmesg and
pciconf output here:

http://www.xenno.com/dfbsd/

There are two directories 'panic1' and 'panic2'.  Panic1 says "RAM
parity error" and suggests hardware failure, yet this is the second
laptop (exact same model) that I've tried and the panic persists
(though I don't have pictures from the first laptop).  I am running
1.7.0-DEVELOPMENT from December 8, 2006.

Can you get a coredump, and post the back trace? That will be helpful.

There are other issues as well that may or may not be related. I have a USB ethernet adaptor (aue) that auto negotiates to 10baseT/UTP on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE to negotiates to 100baseTX. The laptop has

mmm, I didn't quite understand here, do you mean that aue(4) will operate at 10UTP on dfly?

hung several times.  Once with an out of memory error from aue0 while
cvs up'ing the pkgsrc tree.  I have not been able to get it to dump
core.  Also the aue adaptor is only recognized if it plugged in while
booting.  Plugging it in once the laptop is booted yields nothing.

Please sync with today's HEAD

I am willing to help in any way necessary to further debug these issues.

Thanks,
Joe Talbott

Best Regards, sephe

--