Re: Cache coherency, clustering, and Kernel virtualization

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:15:57 +0200

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 11:49:36AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Sounds kinda like what IBM did with linux on its mainframes, eh?  But I
>     am going to do it with DragonFly and my expectation is that performance
>     within a virtual kernel will be within 20% of the performance of a
>     real kernel.

And why reinvent the wheel? Xen is providing exactly that -- light
weight virtualisation similiar to what IBM provided in hardware.
It has the big advantage of being proven technology and does support
multiple kernel already.

Performance numbers are available as well, depending on usage pattern
the impact is quite low.

Joerg