Re: How to keep kernel up-to-date with Security/Errata Fixes?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:11:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, March 27, 2006 7:14 am, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

> How can you state that patches are commited without thorough testing?
> First of all you don't know how much testing the developers actually do
> before committing the patch.  And secondly, patches which go to
> -release are security and bug fixes ONLY.  We don't add features to
> -release like freebsd does on -stable.  You really need to read
> documentation before making such claims.

He can read documentation, but he won't find it.  Other than an answer in
the FAQ that is related but does not answer his question, he wouldn't be
able to find a clear answer in the documentation.

I think at this point references to "STABLE" and so on are out of the
Handbook, but there's no specific conversation about the different tags.
The updating DragonFly section still talks about dfports, in fact.  I'll
add it to my to-do list, though I certainly won't mind if someone beats me
to it.