Re: How to keep kernel up-to-date with Security/Errata Fixes?

From: Dragronfly Kernel List User <Fly_Dragon_Fly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:38:55 -0500

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:45:19 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> :
> :Yes, this is the kernel you're looking for.
> :
> :Just use /usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-release1_4-supfile and
> :you'll get 1.4 frequent bug fixes.
> :
> :Sascha
>
>     1.4.3 is the latest, with the most recent sendmail security bug
>     fix in it.  It should be the one that the cvsup pulls down now.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you Sascha and Matt.

Your replies leave me a little perplexed.

As I understand it, a FreeBSD Security Branch update normally only
updates kernel sources and the resulting kernel is named something like
'RELENG_X_X-px' rather than increasing the last digit of the release
name by one.

I am wondering if Dragonfly's RELEASE source updates are akin to
FreeBSD Stable Branch updates where patches haven't been thoroughly
tested and one could end up with problems?

Thank you again.