Re: User-Space Device Drivers

From: wgrim@xxxxxxxx
Date: 02 Mar 2006 05:27:16 GMT

Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    The work would definitely be used.  I would use it to port ZFS!

That is definitely good news that it would be used :-)  I guess with a
thesis I shouldn't necessarily worry about someone using it, but it's
always a feel-good sort of thing.

>    Certainly.  If you intend to put a lot of time into this, and
>    it sounds like you do, then you and I should discuss the API
>    so it can be made something that can exist permanently as part
>    of the DragonFly system.

I do plan to put a lot of time into this.  In fact, tonight I'm trying
to finish up some rough edges of my proposal before adding a small
section indicating that I will be implementing the project on DFly.

I think that communication between us on an API you are comfortable
using sounds good.  I did have one question, however, is section about
I/O in "The Design & Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System"
still pertinent to DFly in any way?  I was going to use it as the basis
for how BSD, in general, likes to handle I/O.

Thanks again!

--
William Michael Grim
Master's Student, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville