caps behaviour

From: Eli Green <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:11:11 -0500

I've started playing with caps a little and have some questions about
how a few things behave. I've taken a look at the kernel-side source but
not too in-depth yet.

First, it seems like I can open several service ports with the same
name. Is that correct? For example, in the case of a password lookup
daemon, one could do:

ucid = caps_sys_service(SERVICE_NAME, getuid(), getgid(), 0, CAPF_GROUP|CAPF_WORLD);
rcid = caps_sys_service(SERVICE_NAME, getuid(), getgid(), 0, CAPF_USER);

Then, you could have a thread waiting for messages on each port,
responding with the crypted passwords on root's port but not doing
the shadow lookups on the user port.

Also, big thanks to Csaba Henk for the OpenGrok site, the code is much
easier to chew in small bites, especially for folks not used to
something as huge as the internals of the BSD source.