Re: code bounties for DragonFly ?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:51:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, January 26, 2006 5:56 pm, Csaba Henk wrote:

> Heh... LiveCD. Certainly a livecd with a desktop is flashy and cool, but
> I don't think it would add much to the OS's reputation or usability...
> Pushing it to the point where Knoppix has already been four or five
> years before will make ten or hundred times as many people as many are
> now to boot *once* into DragonFly and klick over the start menu, but I
> doubt if it would increase the user base...

Entire projects (Newbie, FreeSBIE, PCBSD, Knoppix) are built around making
an existing, already-available operating system do this.  It does seem to
make a difference.

It's one of many things that would be good for the project.  Ideally, the
amount of time between CD install and getting to a useable environment
should be as little as possible.

> Let me add my two cents. I personally got finally convinced about the
> project's longevity and ability to cope with real life when Matt
> announced his plan about embracing ZFS. Now *that* would be a feature...

I agree - I am looking forward to it.