Re: FreeBSD4 compatibility

To: Yury Tarasievich <grog@xxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:16:34 +0000

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
Supposing software comes up aimed at general ease-of-use or compatibility, something like that, what's the most probable general attitude of the core project, in the terms of disregard/cooperate?

The issue is, maintaining compatibility with other operating systems is quite a tedious and sometimes involved task, not to mention consuming valuable hours that would be better spent on something else. Don't get me wrong, having it wouldn't be bad, but it's never considered as a priority task.

If we really want compatibility with other OSes, than I would say we do
so with Linux and Solaris; oh not to mention Windows NDIS!  The latter
is an extremely important tool for supporting as many drivers as possible.

Most people when migrating to a new OS, especially Windows to *nix are
worried about whether the target system will support their hardware, and
usually they do so quirckily.

-- Hiten Pandya hmp at dragonflybsd.org