Re: Interrupt routing code

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:18:44 -0800 (PST)

:This old laptop doesn't like ACPI, so I have it turned off.
:
::     * Try increasing the livelock limit (kern.livelock_limit) to 100000.
::       (though I doubt this fix the problem).
:
:I'll try that today.
:
::     Also, try booting older ISOs (assuming your laptop has a CD drive)
::     and see at what point the failure begins.
:
:I went from the last preview a month or so ago to HEAD, so that would make
:backtracking a bit more difficult.  Especially since I don't really have the
:bandwidth to burn a bunch of ISOs.
:
:Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the problem?
:
:jm

    The preview a month or so ago could wind up being quite old.

    Hmm.  Well, the best way is to download a couple of ISOs overnight,
    but if you had to choose just one,  I would first try the 2005/10/19
    ISO.   It may be sufficient just to download the kernels, which are
    much smaller then the ISOs.  If you do, be sure not to load any
    kernel modules since they will be incompatible with the kernel.

    2005/10/19  Fairly stable version before any of my major work went in.

    2005/10/24  Stay away from this day, there was a buggy commit made, then
		backed out.

    2005/10/25	A longstanding bug in the livelock code fixed

    2005/10/26	A bug in the ppbus code fixed

    The snapshots are on:

	http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/pub/DragonFly/snapshots/

    (But at this very second the site seems to be down).

    Be sure to create a backup of a working kernel.  I usually copy a working
    kernel to /kernel.bak that I can boot if I get myself into a bind.
    (/kernel.old has a tendancy to get rewritten by make installkernel, so
    it's not a good name for your backup kernel).