Re: Interrupt routing code

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:17:32 -0800 (PST)

:
:On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:05:40PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
::
:: :So where exactly is this interrupt routing code that is so convoluted and in
:: :need of a rewrite?
:: :
:: :jm
::
::     Ah, the man twixes to the problem!  'Where' is one of the problems.
::     The answer is: strewn across a dozen different files is where.
:
:Are NetBSD and OpenBSD as convoluted handling interrupts as FreeBSD is?
:
:jm

    I wouldn't call it convoluted.  The concept is actually quite straight
    forward, its just that the implementation sucks (even the reimplementation
    FreeBSD did), plus many BIOSes are half-broken and don't actually do what
    you tell them to do.  It's a real mess.

    That said, I'm not familiar enough with NetBSD and OpenBSD's interrupt
    handling code to have an opinion.   I have heard some interesting ideas
    regarding how to solve the problem.