shutdown -h now -- why leave power on?

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:27:09 -0700

Something I've always wondered (and been a bit annoyed with)... why does "shutdown -h now" respond with:

Shutting down ACPI

    The operating system has halted.
    Please press any key to reboot.

I realise this is a BSDism, but I've never understood the point. Why not keep ACPI running and instruct it to shut down the machine? Amongst other things, it makes it easier to do a remote power cycle with WoL (and other situations where you might not necessarily have a keyboard attached).