Re: Bug Tracking System [Was: Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system]

From: Bill Huey (hui) <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:47:22 -0700

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:39:48PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Well of *course* I'm writing it in C.  I'm a C programmer, after all!
>     Frankly, I'm spending most of my time building the HTML templates,
>     which is rather unavoidable when building any site, and unrelated to
>     the language.  The code itself is fairly trivial and straight forward.
. ..

It's even more straight forward in Java as well. That's ignoring python's Zope
and Ruby Rails.

>     Insofar as languages go... well, there's no point making broad
>     generalizations about languages.  Elegance is more a function of the
>     programmer than the language.  Besides, there is so much embedded SQL

That's a broad misconception from folks that aren't aware of what's going on
in C# and Java land. These systems are designed to deal with what you're doing
in more direct and fitted way without hammering ANSI C to do those all things.

Dynamic object oriented languages like Java/C# are primarily driven by a concept
known as Model View Controller, which takes something like a data model (Model),
displays it as a view (View) for manipulation (Controller). The use of systems
like that aren't constraint to being just HTML, but can be expressed in a
different view/controller so that they also correspond to an actually Win32/OS X,
etc.. application. This without changing a single line of code yet you can have
that exploit polymorphism so that HTML application can also being an normal X
app, etc... as a different view.

This is ignoring polymorphic things like internationalization with Unicode string
handling and other things that a Java style system was design to be in the first
place. ANSI C has what ? null terminated strings and stack allocated objects that
are crash happy to malicious hackers via buffer overflows.

That's the point of it and other object oriented systems. It might not be perfect,
nor completely laid out, but it's a mature system that used and tested by many
folks that does the job very well...

>     in the code that half of it doesn't even *look* like C.

Dude, this is wacked. Please reconsider offloading this to folks that are
motivated to solve this problem. There's so much to do like getting a decent 1:1
threading system in place so that the Java folks have non-crappy kernel threading
support for their runtime.

This is much more important than dealing with a NIH bug tracking system.

Geeez...

bill