Re: java stuff (Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system)

From: Michel Talon <talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:19:05 +0200

Tomaž Borštnar wrote:
Hiten Pandya wrote:

I am worried, that all BSD communities keep saying that Java is frightening and something very heavyweight. Well, I have to disagree with that purely on the grounds of principle; just because we don't support JAVA properly does not mean we should call it the nasties.

Yep, I wish BSDs would have better support for Java. Or at least via linux emulation. linux jdk 1.5 dumps core (Bad system call) when trying to run jboss with it. Native jdk 1.4 with jboss seems to be DoS-able - ie. send lots of connections towards it and it will start taking all CPU being in system part and not doing its java work and killing it is the only solution.

I have not tried running Jboss, but tomcat, resin, eclipse, azureus, etc. all run fine in FreeBSD-5 with native jdk1.5.0. Personnally i have not seen great difference with Linux running the same programs on the same machine. Like you both i think that proper Java support on a system
which pretends to be a server system or an industrial system is an
absolute necessity, essentially because a large part of industry systems
are based on Java.
By the way, have you compiled your native jdk1.4.2 in a very clean
environment (no environment variables defined)? I have had nasties due to that.

Tomaž