Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:56:38 +0200

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
I've used JIRA in production before and it's just nice. I think that
if Java will run on DragonFly, there's no reason to not use it. Even
if it requires running a non-DragonFly machine, I think the features
it provides are very worthwhile.
What's the importance of "self-hosting" or "closed-sourceness of BTS"?
Aren't these non-issues?
They aren't non-issues.  However, given how our own website looks the Jira
front-end will be a welcome relief to people (and no, I don't think our
website framework invites one to hack on it, sorry).

I don't understand what you try to say with that. As a note, I consider self-hosting as quite a requirement [1], but not extra-strict. At the very least it showed us that java doesn't work as expected and we need to fix that. I think that's positive.

As another note on the closed source business:

We all develop under BSDL. Why? We obviously like it. We like to write real free code. We *want* companies (maybe our own) to take the code, to modify it and to make money out of that. And we just trust in those companies to give us something back: bug fixes, features, design. That's the basic idea, at least to me. If I'm wrong here, then I maybe should change camps.

So now there is one company, Atlassian, which accepts this offer. They use open source software all over their products. Hooray, that's what makes the BSDL developer's heart beat faster. And now you don't want to take their offer to use this product for free? Strange message to the BSD community: "We encourage companies to take our code, but if they do so we don't want these products because they are not open source."

As I see it, potential reporter'd be interested in whether the bugs are dealt with promptly and effectively. Potential developer or sponsor'd like to know whether BTS is really helping or hindering (chosen wisely).
Seems the only requirement for a user in Jira to create an issue is to
register.  Basically the same for any bug tracking mechanism nowadays.

If you're talking about my eval install, then this was chosen by me. You can as well allow anon entries or require users to be created by admins.

It would as well work to mail to a specific address and get your issue registered, without needing an account. Or you would get an account created with the email submission. Jira is enormously flexible.

http://bugs.gnome.org/simple-bug-guide.cgi is very nice in how it takes and
guides the use through the steps of reporting in a consistent manner.  This
is Gnome's Bugzilla customisation.  That doesn't mean I want use to use
Bugzilla, merely an example for the crowd that thinks Bugzilla is clumsy for
reporting.

Yes I think so. I still didn't receive the confirmation email and it's been more than 15 minutes that I had to register there. This is something what I wouldn't accept. If I want to report a bug, I want to do it quickly. If these developers don't want me to report it, then I won't do it. I don't need to report the bug after all.

I am tired of this bikeshed. I am tired af all those fucking bikesheds all over. Why is it like that? Often enough I have the feeling that it's not about the best working solution for the time being, but about the eternal optimum. I just want a bug tracking system. One which is easy to use. For both users and developers. I want to be able to post followups per mail and not have to use a browser every time. I want to report bugs via mail. I want to see which bugs are still open and search them. I want it to be easy for the users to search old bug reports for issues they might encounter. And I want such a system as soon as possible!

The problem with all those bikesheds is that they delay the implementation of the *idea* far too long. Most of the time people agree on the idea (bikeshed), just not on the specific implementation (color). Can't we try to move to a different model: Implement it the way it was proposed unless somebody comes up with a better implementation right away. If not, just do it and change it later to the better implementation. It's extremely discouraging to me if my ideas get rolled over and over again by people who just have some opinion about it but won't ever come to implement it themselves [no offence, general statement]. I believe that most people out there feel the same. This is what cracks up the community. Let's stop it, please.

Hiten offered to get jira set up. I offer to set it up and administrate it. If there is somebody out there who can provide a working BTS which matches our expectations on what the system should be able to do (we didn't even come to discuss these requirements yet!) and who will set it up within one week, then PLEASE DO SO. Otherwise we should go with the product available and just switch when we have the optimal solution [2]. No more delays please. I want to go back to coding, that's the thing I actually enjoy.

cheers
  simon

[1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000012.html
[2] joerg and I offer to migrate the data when we have a better system in place

Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /