Re: bug tracking system

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:26:12 +0200

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:56:09PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I've been mulling it over for a few days but what Rahul is saying is
>     pretty much mirroring what I have been thinking.  I'd far prefer we
>     go with an open-source solution, or write our own.

You are not the only person to think that. But quite frankly, getting a
bug tracking system right (including the more advanced features like
parsing mails, easy extensibity, ACLs and that) is a lot of work which
needs more than a few developers weeks. Heck, even writing a user
friendly web page which works in most browsers does need a lot of time.

We have better things to do. I answered *my* question when looking at it
-- the vendor lockin. The XML it generates is reasonable and easy to
parse, so we can switch to another system if we want / have to, without
loosing all the old data.

Joerg