package manager lanugage (was: Re: PKGSRC will be officially supported as of the next release)

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:23:00 +0200

[quoting repaired]

Jonas Trollvik wrote:
I'd like to support Andreas here, on general assumption that 50 megs of supporting packages is nothing if the tool (language) itself is appropriate for the job and if the tools has a fairly wide support. Recognized, supported and stable is what lisp seems
like to me.
I thought Dragonfly was diverging from a bloated base. perl was removed from the base system, but adding a 50 meg dep is nothing?
I too would prefer to see the base as clean as possible

Nobody said anything about adding stuff to base. I think a package manager even should be implemented as a self-bootstrapping package. Otherwise it's really hard to update the package manager itself on release branches etc.

cheers
  simon

Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /