Re: New scheduler algorithm committed

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

:My very preliminary testing shows an improvement, but not spectacular.
:
:I'm doing a buildworld now, just as a CPU-intensive background task.
:
:I've tried playing the gnome 'sol' game, which seems definitely more
:responsive.  I'm typing this response in pine (running in a gnome
:terminal window) and I find it so annoyingly slow and erratic as to be
:almost unusable.
:
:So, all in all, the scheduler changes seem to be a tossup: some pluses
:and some minuses.  Still room for improvement, though.
:

    Ok, I've set a machine up with gnome and pine and I see a few issues.
    The main one is that the estcpu decay time calculations are occuring
    on one-second intervals without any regard as to whether the process
    has even existed for one second or not.  buildworlds with their very short
    lived processes are being improperly accounted for.  This is something
    we inherited.  I'm going to fix that, do some more testing, and hopefully
    have something by tonight.

    gnome is a good test.  The gnome-terminal program is a medium-sized cpu
    hog (it uses four times the cpu that the pine program running under it
    uses).  I think the system is accounting for the program properly, but
    is skewing the buildworld due to the estcpu decay algorithm.