Re: Huge changes

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:00:21 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:16:10AM +0000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> No, binary execution in gcc3 is *much* faster (really there's no
> reason to use gcc2 any more, i.m.o).  On my code (computational
> biology stuff) gcc3 is almost as fast as icc 8, sometimes faster.

There's also a lot of code which runs slower. It depends on the code.
But a lot of stuff is not critical run-time wise and faster compilation
can mean faster development after all.

> For the end user, that's what matters.  Plus there's the
> improvements and standards-compliance in C++, etc.

That's the one big plus and the main reason we switched.

> 2 deserves to die and is unsupported upstream.  Eventually, 3 will
> also die upstream.

So far, GCC 3.4 will get at least one or two more releases and to
quote the GCC maintainers, it is one of the most stable releases they
had in a long time.

Joerg