Re: SVR4 emulation

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:48:05 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
UFS has historically not been able to handle filesystems larger then 1TB
due to internal arithmatic overflows. Weird things would happen. I don't know if FreeBSD fixed those issues ... we brought in most of the
FreeBSD 64 bit fixes for UFS, but not the 64 bit block numbers yet.

    My personal feeling is that if we want 64 bit block support we need to
    make a repository copy of the UFS code and call it something else,
    like 'ufs64' or something (ufs2 ?), rather then trying to integrate the
    support into the existing UFS filesystem.

-Matt

	Well, Julian Elischer, among other people has managed to construct
	UFS2 file systems larger than or equal to 2TB.  Pretty sure they
	ironed out arithmatic overflows issues.

Kind regards,

Hiten Pandya