Re: what about adding EVFILT_OOB to kqueue

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

:current kqueue can't report oob data arrival precisely,
:what about adding EVFILT_OOB filter to kqueue?  Any suggestion?
:
:--
:Live Free or Die

    About the only thing OOB data is used for is propogating signals
    over terminal sessions (in order to bypass potentially thousands
    of bytes of data that are otherwise backed up trying to get out
    a 2400 baud serial port).

    In otherwords, its a throwback to an earlier era.  Terminal
    programs (rlogin, telnet) still use OOB data, but those are
    about the only programs that do.  I don't even think SSH uses
    OOB data.

    I don't think it's worth adding a KQUEUE interface to separate OOB
    data from non-OOB data.  Its unlikely that other BSDs would adopt
    the feature (I don't even think we should, obviously!), and that
    pretty much means that no programs would ever use it.  It's far
    better to open a whole second (TCP) connection and shove your out
    of band data over that then it is to try to multiplex it on a
    single connection.