Re: gcc versions and freebsd-4 compatibility

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

:On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:21:14PM +0300, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
:> Re changing the default compiler, throwing out gcc-2.95.4 etc. I hope this
:> doesn't mean loosing the existing binary packages level compatibility between
:> freebsd-4 and dfbsd?
:
:Well, after the libc major bump, a new (native) DragonFly binary will not
:run on FreeBSD 4 anymore, because there will be using incompatible
:system calls. The way from 4.x to DF is not affected, but we are going to
:add a compat layer for it.
:
:Joerg

    Ahh... but maybe not, depending on how well we build this intermediate
    syscall layer I've been talking about.  If we do it right then the
    binaries will run on FreeBSD 4 with the appropriate library installed.
    I'm not sure if it's 100% doable (I'm not sure how we would handle
    static binaries), but since we control the init code in both cases
    it should be possible to make it work.