Re: DRAGONFLY 1.2 RELEASED!

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:59:44 -0700

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> walt wrote:

> > Why not just pretend to be FreeBSD until such time as a proper ports
> > system can be created and maintained for DragonFly?

> 	That will not help in the long run.

My favorite quote from the 'dismal science':

	"In the long run we are all dead."
			--John Maynard Keynes

> 	...pretending to be FreeBSD still leaves a problem for sysutil/
> 	type ports where kernel interfaces are radically different.  This will
> 	be even a bigger issue when we drop libkvm for getting direct access
> 	to kernel core/memory information.

Upstream fixes are still the only long-term solution here, too.

> 	To be honest, if pkgsrc use in DragonFly community is fruitful than I
> 	would love to drop port overrides altogether so that all "patching"
> 	efforts can be focused into one place.

Which place would that be, though?  In the long run, all software developers
would need to be using pkgsrc before it would all 'just work'.  That is exactly
the long-term goal of the pkgsrc team as I understand it -- but that's not
going to happen anytime soon.  Meanwhile, there are thousands of upstream
fixes that need to be applied, and that is also not going to happen quickly.

My only point was not to cut loose a fairly effective short-term solution
before a long-term solution is really working.

> 	Hopefully we are all on the same chapter.

Don't stand up too quickly --the bikeshed has a low ceiling ;o)

I'm very happy to see you back!  Are you here to stay for awhile?