Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:20:32 +0800

Peter Schuller wrote:

I can't even begin to imagine what people do on on servers.

'Funny you should mention that'....

For 'production' servers, it is simply not an issue.
Example:

- 'Miminal' FreeBSD 4.X, or standard DragonFlyBSD install

- Add: cvsup-without-gui*, joe, bash

- cvsup to latest STABLE, run make cycle. Repeat to insure sync.

- Add Utilities:
lynx-ssl
portaudit
portupgrade

-Add applications:

Exim*
Dovecot*
ClamAV*
SpamAssassin*

Zope*
Plone*
PostgreSQL*

thttpd
squid*

These will bring in a host of 'sputniks', including a few Xlibs, but only a few.
There may be perl or python versioning issues. Easily handled.

*Usually built from the developer's generic tarballs, not ports or pkgsrc.

If I am wrong and there is some magical way of upgrading pkgsrc - please enlighten me :)

No magic. Simplicity.

Most servers need only a few groups of 'functionalities':

1) Mail Services:

2) Webservices:

3) Optionally, or in support, a 'serious' DB:

4) The editors, utilities, maintenance and analytical tools of your choice.

Nearly everything else, and a whole lot of these, are already in the 'mimimal' install.

Just 'coz F/OSS is free and available doesn't mean you have to load (and maintain) all of it.

Desktop are a whole 'nuther story, but if setting up and maintaining a BSD or Linux desktop is too onerous, buy a Mini-Mac or an eCS license.