Re: Stable tag slipped

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:24:54 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:> :> * The connection timeout issue under SMP, still has not been reproduced.
:
:Now that I have found the way to get a decent kernel dump, I am ready to :try to reproduce it. Any hint on how to proceed?
:
:Raphael

    I think what you want to do is generate a kernel dump the moment your
    telnet test starts to fail (i.e. looks like it will timeout), but
    before it actually times-out.

I've been running 3 loops of mirroring wget -m on the apache manual, with the fetched page deleted in between, MaxClients=256, MaxKeepAliveRequests=0. There is one loop runned localy.

There are more than 4000 connections in TIME_WAIT, more than 4000 sockets.

The server responds very well and there are no delays.

Tomorrow I will try MaxKeepAliveRequests to an impossibly high number to generate long running connections and see how it copes.

I welcome suggestions on what test to run as I am no expert in neither os nor networking.

Raphael