Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:03:15 -0800

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     The stable tag is going to be slipped again on Sunday and we will begin
>     release engineering on monday.  The release will occur on Thursday or Friday.
>
>     From sunday until release (or until I lay down the branch tag), only bug
>     fixes should be committed.

Okay, I am proud to claim the role of the least educated and the most amateurish
of all DFly groupies, so I will ask the painfully stupid questions :o)

I've been following the long and confusing thread about what the various tags
should be named (and why) and I am hereby declaring my total confusion.

I've been following FreeBSD-CURRENT for about ten years, and yet I still don't
understand the meaning of their tag names -- so, should I be surprised that I
don't understand the DFly names either?

The problem is that I have never engineered a release (of course!) so I just
don't understand the problems that a release engineer faces.  The vast majority
of *BSD users don't understand the problems either, and hence don't understand
the solutions any more than I do.

What we need is someone who has been on both sides of the problem to 'splain it
to us dumb users, so that we can be part of the solution rather than part of the
problem.  (I solemnly swear that I am part of the problem.)

Anyone here can help?