Re: Version numbering for release DECISION!

From: Janet Sullivan <ciscogeek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:00:15 -0800

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
-On [20050328 06:42], Matthew Dillon (dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

  -CURRENT	Will indicate a build based on the head of the CVS tree.
  -WORKING	Will indicate a build baesd on our current stable tag
  -RELEASE	Will indicate a build based on a release branch.
  -STABLE	Will indicate a build based on a post-release branch.

As I expect lots of people will come to DFly from FreeBSD 4.x, changing the meaning of -STABLE may be confusing for some. Whatever scheme is used for naming builds, I think -STABLE should be retired.

Also, out of curiousity, how long will the patched release branch be maintained?

Personally, I like the following:

1.1-ALPHA	- build based on HEAD (.)
1.1-BETA	- build based on the slip tag (DFly_Beta)
1.2-RC		- a release canidate from the release branch (DFly_1_2)
1.2-RELEASE	- Final "Gold" image from release branch. (DFly_1_2)
1.2p1-RELEASE   - The release patch branch. (DFly_1_2_Updated)