Re: Current stable tag slip status

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:47:51 -0800

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:05:23 +0800
Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ed wrote:
> > I'd suggest to use lower release numbers.
> > [...]
>
> I'm sure to branded a heretic here, but the 'numbers game'
> is one of the less-attractive features of software.

I tend to agree, but I also think that - if we were to abandon the
traditional version numbering system - the alternative systems proposed
so far (here and on users@) are still more complicated than they have to
be.  Why not just use the date (YYYYMMDD)?  And add "RELEASE" on the end
to distinguish releases from snapshots.

-Chris