Re: Journaling layer update - any really good programmer want to start working on the userland journal scanning utility ? You need to have a LOT of time available!

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:22:09 +0800

Rongsheng Fang wrote:

IMHO it's not necessary to seperate journaling options/config from fstab
unless they are making fstab very hard to maintain or there are tech
difficulties in doing so etc.

Personally I would prefer it in fstab, potentially with flags of the sort used to keep
similar off-box backup storage 'safe', such as 'noxec', nosymfollow', and such.

For a user who is familiar with unix or unix-like systems but new to dflybsd, the first thing he may be trying is 'man mount' or 'man fstab' if he wants to look for any fs-related options he doesn't know.

ACK, and of course the DFLY version of these man pages must include the new/different features. Or 'see also.'

But I also see the point of not 'complicating' fstab - which is historically perhaps more
'hardware' relevant.

The DFLY potentially-distributed/exported stored-elsewhere, etc. journaling seems to
overlap into traditional turf of off-box logging, NFS, cpdup, rsync, software RAID,
(or all of the above) in one feature or another - if only 'distance'.

The format needed to control it may not be a good fit with legacy fstab layout.

mountctl.conf sounds relevant and neat too :)

Perhaps the best way, but again it might be more intuitive if it were:

'dflymnt.conf'.

I like the way DragonFly is going, appreciate the value of compatibility with
its 'roots', but believe that the departure in core architecture easily justifies
a more visible difference in 'sysop-land' configuration tools as well.

Many folks can be expected to be admin on other BSD, Linux, and such as well as
DragonFly. Forgetting which is which can bite....

Rongsheng