Re: RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:20:41 +0000

Richard Coleman wrote:
 > In many ways, this reminds me of the whole debate about whether it is
more secure to use ssh or encrypted telnet using Kerberos. The reality is that either one of them is infinitely better than what people were using before. Ssh won this battle because it was easier to install, not because it won on theoretical grounds (I have no idea which is theoretically better and it usually doesn't matter).

Whether it is GBDE or CGD, the best way to rapidly spread encryption is to add a huge button during the install from cd that says "click here to use encrypted disk". The will quickly increase the number of people using encrypted disks many fold in short order. Until then, it will always be a niche feature.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Very well put. Can we please end this thread now? Please?

-Hiten