Re: rc and smf

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:29:30 -0800

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:10:17 -0500
Dan Melomedman <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not trying to compare Unix to RTOSes. For example, Erlang is
> written for Unix, and it's naive to think that people run some mission
> critical software on RTOSes only.

Erlang *builds* on Unix, true, but it also builds on Windows and
VxWorks.  It's not "written for Unix" specifically.

> Ericsson AXD301 ATM switch runs
> Erlang, presumably under a flavor of Unix, but I haven't verified
> this.

According to

  http://www.erlang.se/publications/Ulf_Wiger.pdf

The AXD 301 runs the "VRTX" operating system, which is described here:

  http://www.us.design-reuse.com/news/news794.html

and which AFAICT appears to be called "Nucleus" these days:

http://www.mentor.com/products/embedded_software/nucleus_rtos/index.cfm

which _is_ a RTOS.

> What I can do is try and make a more reliable and fault-tolerant use
> of the existing generic OSes such as *BSD or Linux, that's why people
> write syslog and init replacements. Too bad people that build these
> OSes often ignore issues that are so obvious to some of their users.
> Please don't take it as an insult, just an observation.

I don't think the issue is ignored at all.  Customizing your operating
system is why ports/pkgsrc/etc exists.

-Chris