Re: rc and smf

From: Dan Melomedman <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:47:51 -0500

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> I can restart my log daemon.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want you
> to switch over to using syslog, if multilog works for you. It might
> very well be the perfect tool. Actually apache especially with mod_php
> is an example of unstable software IMO, it tends to segfault at times.
> Nothing critical, enough parallel processes to just take over.

If a web server with PHP segfaults at 2 a.m. at a commerce web site, and
daemontools' 'supervise' restarts it in one second, and you are the admin
for the site. Your ass has just been saved. If you hadn't used supervision for
the server, the site loses thousands of dollars, or at least you get a call
in the middle of the night.

About syslog: funnel design. It's very inefficient. It's prone to crashes.
It eats a lot of CPU on busy boxes, then it complains that you're
logging too fast, and loses log records. It's garbage. That's why people
have written replacements.