Re: Panic with BCM5751 NIC

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:38:25 -0800 (PST)

:My computer at work was recently upgraded to an HP dc7100 with integrated=20
:Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit NIC. Using Joerg's patch posted to this list (see=
:=20
:below) I am able to get my NIC detected, but whenever I do this, either in=
:=20
:the kenel or loading the module I receive a kernel panic.   Just before the=
:=20
:panic is a message reading:  "RAM parity error, likely hardware error"
:
:And then that panic is:=20
:
:=46atal trap 19:  non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
:=2E.....
:Stopped at cpu_initclocks t0x6e: inb $0x84, %al
:
:This is, of course, transcribed by hand.  I have been unable to get any deb=
:ug=20
:information out of the dump, even though I have -g set in my config.  I am=
:=20
:probably missing something else.  Note that this NIC works fine in FBSD=20
:6-CURRENT, which is where I am sending this from.  Any thoughts or=20
:suggestions?

    It sounds like a PCI initialization issue with that card, which is not
    surprising considering that it is a broadcom.  An NMI pretty much either
    means that the system ram is bad (which is not likely here), or that a
    PCI card with shared or internal local memory has been misconfigured.

    Someone would need to check the FreeBSD broadcom driver for changes
    that might have gone in to support the card that we don't have.