Re: cvs cross reference tool

From: Max Laier <max@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 04:04:16 +0100

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 03:48, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> hey gang,
>
> in the last few months i now and then worked on a cvs cross reference tool.
> it's not completely done yet, but i'd like to get input. so please drop me
> a line, be it "i don't need that", "hey that's cool" or "i got a feature
> request".
>
> basically it indexes all four BSDs' CVS repos and analyzes the cvs tags in
> the files. So if DragonFly imported a file from FreeBSD, we keep the RCS
> $FreeBSD$ tag. my tool takes the tag, extracts the revision that it is
> referring to, and builds up a list of "missing" revisions. that is
> revisions that went into that branch in FreeBSD afterwards. As a nice side
> effect it can aggregate patches into changesets, and this is what is in
> fact the most useful thing.
>
> you can check out a preview at:
> <http://oly.corecode.ath.cx/~corecode/cgi-bin/crosscgi.py>
>
> oh yes: whoever thinks he can do a better design (not hard), please do so!

If you don't know it yet:
http://fxr.watson.org/

The search features from there are quite handy, didn't find anything like it
in your tool yet.

Also, a quick check of the pf source (what else) didn't turn up the cool
feature you were talking about (i.e. filling in the $OpenBSD versions)
http://oly.corecode.ath.cx/~corecode/cgi-bin/crosscgi.py?cmd=detail&sourceid=34780
http://oly.corecode.ath.cx/~corecode/cgi-bin/crosscgi.py?cmd=detail&sourceid=83740

It's really fast, though!  How long does an index run take? On what hardware?
How much space does it need for metadata?  Does it index incremental?

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier@xxxxxxxxxxx